Why use Domains?
Domains provide students with a platform that allows them to experiment with new tools, test their skills, and explore their ideas. The hands-on experience that Domains provide gives students an opportunity to build and contribute to the internet without the fear or pressure of “messing up” and allow them to develop valuable skills that will serve them well even beyond their years at Penn.
What can I do with Domains?
Though many students use their Domains site for academic or professional purposes, it’s not required. Domains can be created for almost any purpose as long as users abide by the Terms of Service guidelines.
Here are a few popular uses for Domains:
- Online Resume – Create a digital business card to highlight your work experience and internships.
- Web Portfolio – Set up digital galleries to showcase the best examples of your creative work.
- Personal Blog – Use your site as a personal platform to share your thoughts and opinions with the world.
- General Interest Website – Have a quirky interest? Find your tribe by creating a site dedicated to the things that you love.
- Research Project – Use Omeka or Scalar to build a digital archive, interactive map, or timeline.
- Scholarly Publication – Use Pressbooks to create a multimodal, academic text.
Instructors are also invited to use Domains in the classroom for innovative class projects and to teach students important digital literacy skills.
What tools can I use with Domains?
Domains at UPenn provides users with access to some popular web applications and tools to build their website. Some of these tools are easy for anyone to start using right away — no knowledge of how to write code is required! Others have a bit of a learning curve but library staff are available to provide basic assistance and support. Here are just a few of the tools available:
Students have the ability to upload other apps and tools to their site as long as they abide by the Terms of Service (ToS). Please note that the Domains team cannot provide technical support for students who wish to use them.
How do I get started?
If you’re ready to sign up for your own Domain, check out our Get Started page and fill out the request form. The Domains team will get back to you with more information.
Please note that students will be required to complete a short onboarding course on Canvas prior to obtaining their Domain. Details about the course will be sent to students after they submit their request form.
Need more information?
If you’d like to talk to a member of our team to learn more about Domain of One’s Own at UPenn, please send us an email.